Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why Being Thin does NOT equal Being Fit

I am tired. 
Tired of feeling guilty because I am a thin person who wants to be fit. 
What is wrong with that!? Nothing! Every single person should want to be and should work every day at being fit. But so many times when I tell people that I am exercising, I feel like they are rolling their eyes and shaking their heads wondering why I think I need to. I need to exercise to strengthen my core, to work my heart muscle, to have more energy and be happy. No, I don't need to exercise to lose weight. Hello! I know that. 
Laying in the hammock in the backyard
with my son on a warm summer day.
I have had this body type since I was born. It is what God gave me, a thin frame and fast metabolism. Does that mean that I get to lay around and eat whatever and still be fit. No!  

My husband and son walking
down a trail, exploring.
Being fit is different than being thin. I want to be able to run after my child and not be completely winded. I want to go on hikes with my husband. I want to climb a small flight of stairs and not have sore, burning muscles afterwards. I want to walk the Portland to Coast with my sister-in-law. I want my kids to see what staying in shape, what being fit, looks like. I want to try to protect myself from diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's and whatever else I can. There is, in my view, nothing wrong with any of that. Nothing to feel guilty about. In fact, there are some very good things there.
So I am going to exercise. I am going tell myself there is nothing to feel guilty about. There is nothing I have to apologize for. I am going to be a supportive friend to whoever wants to get in shape. And I am going to be fit!   

No comments:

Post a Comment