Tuesday, July 30, 2013

(musings on) A Life Worth Giving - Part One

We started a new series at church on Sunday. It's called 'A Life Worth Giving.' James 1: 17 says this: Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Every good thing in your life came and comes from God. You didn't pick your family, country you were born into, the natural resources around you, the type of education you would receive or the brain to learn it all with. You didn't give yourself your talents and skills or spiritual gifts and you don't know what the future holds or which paths you will take. God gave you and still gives every good thing in your life. 

So, when was the last time you stopped to thank God for the the blessings in your life? When we stop and say thanks and praise him for ALL he has given us, we realize just how blessed we are and how big his love for us is. When we realize our blessings, I believe it stirs in us a passion to be more generous. What do you have to be thankful for which you have been blessed with that others may not have? A Car(s), a job, a home, food to eat, your family, friends, pet(s), sight, hearing, speech, free time to spend on hobbies and sports, a garden to grow flowers and food, new clothes and shoes, a phone, computer, IPad...... the list of his blessings goes on forever. 

God is good and is love and gives us our blessings freely not because of anything we have done but because of who he is. Give thanks to him for every good thing in your life because he gave it all and still gives what we don't deserve. This is called Grace. 

In Part Two: How do we take this God given grace and our joy-filled, thankful hearts and be more generous with our blessings? 

4 comments:

  1. Very good Erika, again. I ask for blessings and thank God for the blessings each day or at least I try to. I know there are a lot of things I don't list but I still am very thankful and I hope he knows already. I love to share blessings that I hear about to non believers so they can hear how great God is also. We don't always understand the stuggles we go through but in the end they should make us stronger. If they don't, look out because we will go through another one. I think even when we are thinking our life is so hard you hear on the TV or radio or read on facebook that someone else is going through something way worse then yourself. Makes you feel ashamed for thinking your own is so bad. I know I am very blessed! Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and Amen! Great post and it makes me think again of how much God has blessed me with.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are so right! Living a life of gratitude not only blesses us but also those we come into contact with. So, why don't I always live a life of thanksgiving since I KNOW it is best for me? That is our dilemma, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Susan, it is a struggle for us all, isn't it. Something I am working on with the rest of you wonderful readers! Trying to be a good example for my kids so they will (hopefully) grow up to be blessings to others.

      Delete