Thursday, August 1, 2013

(musings on) A Life Worth Giving - Part Two: Giving Generously, a Month Challenge!

So, Part Two: How do we take this God given grace and our joy-filled, thankful hearts and be more generous with our blessings?

Take a moment and think about YOU. Yes, think about you and the gifts God has given to you. What physical, relational, and/or spiritual gifts has God given you? What about the talents and passions you have? How can you take any and every thing God has given you and bless others with it? What has God given to you that makes your Life Worth Giving away? 



Psalms 139: 13-1413 

For you created my inmost being;

    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.


Me, well, I like to share knowledge that I have picked up along the way that might improve others lives in some way. I like to help, in what ever menial task I can. I like the detailed work others don't so much. I like to garden and cook. I like to throw parties. : ) I love bargain shopping. I don't like to see bad things happening to kids. 

Where do I go from here? How do I give back based on just that little bit about myself. Well, here are just some ideas but I am sure you can take these ideas and come up with so much more.......


  • Listen. Really listen to your kids' (or loved ones) stories
  • Coach          
  • Offer to watch a busy mom's kids
  • Do a family member's chore for them
  • Borrow a friends car and return it detailed and with a full tank of gas
  • Teach your favorite hobby to a child
  • Throw a birthday party for an underprivileged child (or adult) 
  • Donate games to a local senior citizen center 
  • Visit an elderly person
  • Donate blood
  • Weed a neighbor's yard
  • Buy a gift card and give it to someone you hardly know
  • Organize a block party
  • Bring a treat into your office for everyone to share
  • Give a big, genuine hug
  • Give a fresh flower bouquet to your favorite store clerk
  • Take a box of toys to a homeless shelter
  • Pay for a single mom to get a mani/pedi
  • Help a neighbor or friend build a garden box and teach them to grow their own veggies and fruits
  • Have a garage sale and donate all the money earned
  • Take dinner to a couple with a newborn
  • Buy lunch for a coworker
  • Volunteer at the hospital
  • Send an anonymous encouragement card to someone in the 'snail' mail
  • Turn off the t.v. and computer and phones and have a face to face conversation
  • Look up and smile to that person walking by. Maybe even say, "Hello!"
  • Say to all those you love, "I love you!"

Well, there you go! There is so much more you could do to live a generous life and give back with joy. And, you don't have to have a bunch of money to give generously. Many of the best gifts in life given and received cost nothing but your willingness to be open enough to give. So, here is my challenge to you. Take this list and whatever you have come up with to add to it and give once a week for the next month! Let's see how God works in us and through us. 




2 Corinthians 9: 6-7Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.










4 comments:

  1. Hi Erika:

    I've realized that I already do lots of things on your list. I particularly enjoy making meals for shut-ins, new moms and recently hospitalized people. I send lots and lots of cards and several others on the list.

    The thing that captures my heart the most though is knitting and crocheting for charity. Most of what I make is given to new babies, the elderly, the homeless and sent the Appalachian area and the reservations of South Dakota. It blesses me more than it does the recipient I'm sure. Because as I make the items of clothing, I pray for whoever receives it.

    Thanks for this great post.

    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the praying for the recipient! What a great way to bless them beyond the gift you are giving them!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful ideas! Creative ways to share Gods love : )

    ~ Violet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Violet! I can't take credit for all of them as some came from my sermon notes. : ) I hope this helps to get the reader's creative juices flowing and they come up with their own unique ways to bless others.

    ReplyDelete