Wednesday, November 6, 2013

30 Days of D.I.Y. Gifts and Decor: Homemade Play Dough

Welcome to Day 6 of















Hi All! Now that Halloween is over, I am switching my focus onto the up-coming holidays that will be filled with family and friends, love and laughter, giving and receiving! For me, some of the best memories and gifts have been what is handmade and from the heart. And, I love giving and receiving handmade and locally crafted gifts. So, I am going to share a new project every day for the month of November to get y'all (and myself) into the spirit of the holidays! I hope you enjoy the next thirty days with me! I would love to hear if you try any of the projects and how they turned out. <3 Erika


Homemade Play Dough



This has become one of my favorite things to make for the kids.
 One - because it is SO easy! And Two - because I (almost) always have the ingredients on hand. If I don't, they are very inexpensive at my grocery store's bulk bin section. This also makes a great gift for all those birthday parties the kids get invited to. You can personalize the play dough by coloring it the giftee's favorite color. And with the money you save by making it yourself, you can add fun play dough tools with it! I have a friend that used this recipe to make up multiple colors and divided it out in small containers as a take-home gift for attendee's of her son's birthday party. Love that idea! I hope you enjoy making this quick and easy gift, whether you make it for your own kids or as a gift for some one else!



Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.


 

Step 2: Stir constantly for 3 to 5 minutes.


 

Step 3: Mixture will form a ball. I added in the coloring while I was stirring instead of at the beginning so the color wasn't quite dispersed all the way at this point. Ooops!

 

Step 4: Remove from pan and let cool in a vented container. I use a recycled lunch meat container that has been thoroughly washed. I have found them to be the perfect size for one ball of dough. I place the lid side ways on top of the container so moisture doesn't build up while the play dough is cooling. 


Step 5: When cool enough, knead until smooth. Keeps well and for a good while in an airtight container. My daughter being impatient and playing with the dough while I attempt to take pictures! 




Homemade Play Dough Recipe
Yield: About 2 cups   
1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1 tbsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp oil
1 cup water
Food coloring
1/4 tsp peppermint or vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for 3-5 minutes. Mixture will form a ball. When cool, knead until smooth. Keeps well in an airtight container. 







Tomorrow: Pencil Christmas Cards 




No comments:

Post a Comment